Family Bible Study:
‘Jesus told them, “This very night you will all turn away because of me. It is written that the Lord said, “ ‘I will strike the shepherd down. Then the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’ (Zechariah 13:7) But after I rise from the dead, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.” Peter replied, “All the others may turn away because of you. But I never will.” “What I’m about to tell you is true,” Jesus answered. “It will happen tonight. Before the rooster crows, you will say three times that you don’t know me.” But Peter said, “I may have to die with you. But I will never say I don’t know you.” And all the other disciples said the same thing. ‘ Matthew 26:31-35 https://my.bible.com/bible/110/MAT.26.31-35
- Let’s read the passage together.
- What does it mean when Jesus says they will all turn away from Him?
- If you were one of the disciples and didn’t know what He was talking about, how would you feel if He told you that?
- Jesus is predicting three things in this passage, can you figure out what all three are? (PARENTS NOTE: Jesus is predicting that the disciples will fall away, that He will die, and that He will rise again.)
- SAY: Peter and the other disciples think there is no way that they will abandon Jesus, but we will see soon, just how wrong they are. But I want to ask you to do me a favor, I want you to watch how they react now, before they see Jesus raise from the dead, and when we get to the book of Acts, look at how they react after having seen Him raised from the dead. Jesus’ resurrection changes everything.
- Let’s pray today for Jesus to keep workin in us and for us to know the power of His resurrection in our own life and let it change everything for us.