Family Bible Study:
‘It was the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread. The disciples came to Jesus. They asked, “Where do you want us to prepare for you to eat the Passover meal?” He replied, “Go into the city to a certain man. Tell him, ‘The Teacher says, “My time is near. I am going to celebrate the Passover at your house with my disciples.” ’ ” So the disciples did what Jesus had told them to do. They prepared the Passover meal. When evening came, Jesus was at the table with his 12 disciples. While they were eating, he said, “What I’m about to tell you is true. One of you will hand me over to my enemies.” The disciples became very sad. One after the other, they began to say to him, “Surely you don’t mean me, Lord, do you?” Jesus replied, “The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will hand me over. The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But how terrible it will be for the one who hands over the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.” Judas was the one who was going to hand him over. He said, “Surely you don’t mean me, Teacher, do you?” Jesus answered, “You have said so.” While they were eating, Jesus took bread. He gave thanks and broke it. He handed it to his disciples and said, “Take this and eat it. This is my body.” Then he took a cup. He gave thanks and handed it to them. He said, “All of you drink from it. This is my blood of the covenant. It is poured out to forgive the sins of many people. Here is what I tell you. From now on, I won’t drink wine with you again until the day I drink it with you in my Father’s kingdom.” Then they sang a hymn and went out to the Mount of Olives. ‘ Matthew 26:17-30 https://my.bible.com/bible/110/MAT.26.17-30
- (Be sure to gather supplies to have communion at the end of this study)
- What’s your favorite holiday and why?
- What is it like before we all eat on that holiday?
- SAY: The passover meal that Jesus is eating with His disciples would have been one of their favorite holidays. The Jewish people celebrated it once a year (and still do to this day). It was the meal that celebrated when God came and saved the Israelites from slavery in Egypt.
- Why do you think Jesus choose passover as a time for Him to die for our sins?
- When Jesus passed the cup and the bread, he said something about them, do you know what He said? Let’s look.
- How would you feel if someone gave you a drink and said, “this is my blood?”
- What if they gave you bread and said, “this is my body?”
- Why do you think Jesus used such shocking ideas to help His disciples remember His sacrifice? (PARENTS NOTE: Jesus wants them to remember His death and sacrifice. Helping them have a visual aide for this will be something that will cause them to regularly pause their own life and reflect on His life that was given for them.
- Let’s take some time together and pause to reflect on Jesus’ life together. We are going to take communion as a family and remember Jesus’ sacrifice.
- Pass communion and talk about Jesus’ death and remind your kids how important it is to not forget Him. End with a prayer time.