Family Bible Study:
‘Jesus finished saying all these things. Then he said to his disciples, “As you know, the Passover Feast is two days away. The Son of Man will be handed over to be nailed to a cross.” Then the chief priests met with the elders of the people. They met in the palace of Caiaphas, the high priest. They made plans to arrest Jesus secretly. They wanted to kill him. “But not during the feast,” they said. “The people may stir up trouble.” ‘ Matthew 26:1-5 https://my.bible.com/bible/110/MAT.26.1-5
- Have someone read the passage?
- Do you guys know what the Passover Feast is? Let’s look it up.
- Google “passover in the time of Jesus,” what interesting things can we learn?
- Do you think it would be surprising to the disciples to hear Jesus talking about this feast and then saying He is going to be nailed to a cross? Why do you think so?
- What would you have said to Jesus if you were one of His disciples and heard him say this? (PARENTS NOTE: remember, the disciples didn’t know that Jesus was going to die – it didn’t make sense for them. So, for them, this would have been confusing as you saying to your child, “tonight I will be standing on top of the statue of liberty.” They would have just thought, “this is crazy…”)
- Why do you think the chief priests and the elders don’t want to kill Jesus during the feast?
- Do you remember a while back what the people were doing and saying when Jesus rode into Jerusalem on a donkey? (PARENTS NOTE: the people were crying hosanna and putting their own coats on the ground for the donkey to walk on)
- SAY: what the disciples and the elders didn’t know was that Jesus chose passover specifically to die so He could become our passover lamb and rescue us from the grip of death. No one really knew what Jesus was going to die for us except for Him, to face that for you and me is the bravest most loving thing anyone could do. Let’s take some time to thank Jesus for loving us so much!
- Pray for God to give your child a heart for people and to see Jesus in the faces of those you are around.