Family Bible Study:
‘“The Son of Man will come in all his glory. All the angels will come with him. Then he will sit in glory on his throne. All the nations will be gathered in front of him. He will separate the people into two groups. He will be like a shepherd who separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep to his right and the goats to his left. “Then the King will speak to those on his right. He will say, ‘My Father has blessed you. Come and take what is yours. It is the kingdom prepared for you since the world was created. I was hungry. And you gave me something to eat. I was thirsty. And you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger. And you invited me in. I needed clothes. And you gave them to me. I was sick. And you took care of me. I was in prison. And you came to visit me.’ “Then the people who have done what is right will answer him. ‘Lord,’ they will ask, ‘when did we see you hungry and feed you? When did we see you thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you as a stranger and invite you in? When did we see you needing clothes and give them to you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ “The King will reply, ‘What I’m about to tell you is true. Anything you did for one of the least important of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘You are cursed! Go away from me into the fire that burns forever. It has been prepared for the devil and his angels. I was hungry. But you gave me nothing to eat. I was thirsty. But you gave me nothing to drink. I was a stranger. But you did not invite me in. I needed clothes. But you did not give me any. I was sick and in prison. But you did not take care of me.’ “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty and not help you? When did we see you as a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison and not help you?’ “He will reply, ‘What I’m about to tell you is true. Anything you didn’t do for one of the least important of these, you didn’t do for me.’ “Then they will go away to be punished forever. But those who have done what is right will receive eternal life.”’ Matthew 25:31-46 https://my.bible.com/bible/110/MAT.25.31-46
- Read the passage?
- Ok, let’s act out this passage. Tell me the story by acting
- What was it that the people on the right of Jesus had done?
- What was it that the people on the left did?
- Why does Jesus say that whatever they did (or did not do) to the least of these, they did to Him? (PARENTS NOTE: Jesus is explaining to them that when they do something for other people, especially those who are hurting, poor, or being treated unfairly, that they are doing those things for Jesus – as if He was there.)
- What are some things that we have done as a family or you have done to help other people?
- SAY: It could be easy to think that Jesus is saying if we want to go to heaven we just need to do good things. But that’s not what He’s saying, what He’s trying to get across to His disciples is that people who truly believe in Him WILL do good things for those who don’t have good things. Being a follower of Jesus should change the way we act towards other people.
- What are some things we need to change when it comes towards how we act towards other people? What about towards our family members or friends?
- SAY: Don’t forget, when we treat others with kindness like they were Jesus, we are actually doing it for Him! So let’s love each other and other people a lot today!
- Pray for God to give your child a heart for people and to see Jesus in the faces of those you are around.