Family Bible Study:
‘“But no one knows about that day or hour. Not even the angels in heaven know. The Son does not know. Only the Father knows. Remember how it was in the days of Noah. It will be the same when the Son of Man comes. In the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking. They were getting married. They were giving their daughters to be married. They did all those things right up to the day Noah entered the ark. They knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be when the Son of Man comes. Two men will be in the field. One will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding with a hand mill. One will be taken and the other left. “So keep watch. You do not know on what day your Lord will come. You must understand something. Suppose the owner of the house knew what time of night the robber was coming. Then he would have kept watch. He would not have let his house be broken into. So you also must be ready. The Son of Man will come at an hour when you don’t expect him. ‘ Matthew 24:36-44 https://my.bible.com/bible/110/MAT.24.36-44
- Have someone read the passage.
- Why do you think it is that not even Jesus knew when all this was going to happen? (PARENTS NOTE: Jesus, when He became human, limited some of His ability. One of those was to know all things. He limited Himself for us. The fact that Jesus Himself didn’t even know the timing of these things means that we should care about them, but not obsess about them. Our job is to be ready for Jesus to come)
- Why does Jesus talk about Noah? (PARENTS NOTE: Jesus is using Noah to illustrate how people will go on doing all the things they are doing right up until the end.)
- Jesus says a couple times that two people will be doing something and one will be taken and the other left, why do you think that is, why is one taken and one not? (PARENTS NOTE: Jesus is making a statement about the fact that some people know Him and others don’t. The ones who don’t know Him will not be taken and saved from that day.)
- Jesus says to “keep watch” and then he says, if a person knew when a robber was coming, they would watch for that. Jesus is comparing Himself to the robber (funny right?), He is saying He will come, but no one knows the time He will come. So, how do we “Keep watch?” What does that mean? (PARENTS NOTE: Keeping watch could mean a lot of things, but one of the main things it means is for you to keep a relationship with Jesus that is strong. For you to live everyday out of a sincere faith – saying to God, “not my will, but yours be done”. As my kids said to me, “it’s about your heart being Jesus’”)
- How has your heart been with seeking Jesus lately? What could we do today to remind each other to seek Him and be watchful?
- Pray for God to give you an undivided heart for God!