Family Bible Study:
‘“So if anyone tells you, ‘He is a long way out in the desert,’ do not go out there. Or if anyone says, ‘He is deep inside the house,’ do not believe it. Lightning that comes from the east can be seen in the west. It will be the same when the Son of Man comes. The vultures will gather wherever there is a dead body. “Right after the terrible suffering of those days, “ ‘The sun will be darkened. The moon will not shine. The stars will fall from the sky. The heavenly bodies will be shaken.’ (Isaiah 13:10; 34:4) “Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven. At that time, all the peoples of the earth will mourn. They will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven. He will come with power and great glory. He will send his angels with a loud trumpet call. They will gather his chosen people from all four directions. They will bring them from one end of the heavens to the other. “Learn a lesson from the fig tree. As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. In the same way, when you see all these things happening, you know that the end is near. It is right at the door. What I’m about to tell you is true. The people living now will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. Heaven and earth will pass away. But my words will never pass away. ‘ Matthew 24:26-35 https://my.bible.com/bible/110/MAT.24.26-35
- Have someone read the passage.
- Tell me some of the things that stick out to you from today’s bible verses?
- Jesus has shifted from just talking about how the temple will be destroyed to what it will be like when He returns someday. Did you know Jesus will return again?
- What does it sound like it will be like when that happens based on these verses? (PARENTS NOTE: the truth is, these verses make it sound kind of scary, but be sure to remind your child that if you love Jesus, there is never anything to be worried about because nothing can separate you from the love of Jesus [Romans 8:31-39].)
- How will we know when Jesus is returning? (PARENTS NOTE: Jesus says two things. the first is that just like you can see lightning in the sky, it will be just as clear when Jesus comes. The second is towards the end when He says that the fig tree gives us a lesson – when it’s twigs get tender, the leaves come out – summer is near. So, when we see these things happening we need to be ready.)
- Do you think we need to worry a ton about when Jesus will return? Because there are some people that this is all they think about all the time? (PARENTS NOTE: my personal opinion on this is that we need to know about His return, but not worry about it or constantly be talking about it, because Jesus said when it happens, people will know – it will be like lightning. I heard someone say once, “we should be on the welcoming committee, not the planning committee for Jesus return.”)
- If we don’t need to worry about when Jesus will come back, what should we worry about? (PARENTS NOTE: Talk to your kids about helping other people come to know Jesus, that we need to tell people and share the good news).
- Who do you know that needs to come to know Jesus? Let’s pray for them today!
- Pray for your friends and family who need to know Jesus and ask God to help you be a witness to them.