Family Bible Study:
‘“The prophet Daniel spoke about ‘the hated thing that destroys.’ (Daniel 9:27; 11:31; 12:11) Someday you will see it standing in the holy place. The reader should understand this. Then those who are in Judea should escape to the mountains. No one on the housetop should go down into the house to take anything out. No one in the field should go back to get their coat. How awful it will be in those days for pregnant women! How awful for nursing mothers! Pray that you will not have to escape in winter or on the Sabbath day. There will be terrible suffering in those days. It will be worse than any other from the beginning of the world until now. And there will never be anything like it again. “If the time had not been cut short, no one would live. But because of God’s chosen people, it will be shortened. At that time someone may say to you, ‘Look! Here is the Messiah!’ Or, ‘There he is!’ Do not believe it. False messiahs and false prophets will appear. They will do great signs and miracles. They will try to fool God’s chosen people if possible. See, I have told you ahead of time. ‘ Matthew 24:15-25 https://my.bible.com/bible/110/MAT.24.15-25
- Have someone read the passage.
- Remember last time we looked up the destruction of the Jerusalem in 70AD. Jesus says there are a bunch of things people should do or not do, or conditions that will be bad when this time comes, let’s see if we can get them all in a list, go! (PARENTS NOTE: Judea escape to mountains, on rooftop – don’t go and get stuff out of house, out in a field – don’t go back to get your coat, awful for pregnant women and nursing mothers, pray it’s not winter or the sabbath. See the description in the extras of the aftermath of the Destruction of Jerusalem for why Jesus would give them these warnings)
- Why do you think Jesus is giving them these warnings? (PARENTS NOTE: Jesus cares for these people and He knows this terrible event is coming, He wants to warn them to help protect them both physically and spiritually – this will be a time when people could rise up and trick others into believing that they are prophets or messiahs – for Jewish people, these would be ruling Kings. Jesus is trying to protect His followers.)
- This is a tough question, Jesus knew this was going to happen, why do you think He didn’t just stop it? (PARENTS NOTE: this is the kind of question that is easy to avoid, because the reality is, the answer is hard even for an adult. But don’t skip it or hide from it. Admit to your kids that it’s hard. Here is my answer: the promise of Christianity has NEVER been to keep you from hard situations, it has always been that that God will go through those situations with you. The reason God keeps letting bad things happen our world is He is being patient waiting for everyone to have a chance to hear about the Kingdom of God [ 2 Peter 3:9 “The Lord is not slow to keep his promise. He is not slow in the way some people understand it. Instead, he is patient with you. He doesn’t want anyone to be destroyed. Instead, he wants all people to turn away from their sins.”]. This literally what Jesus said in vs. 14 of Matthew 24 that we studied last time ‘This good news of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world. It will be a witness to all nations. Then the end will come. ‘ Matthew 24:14. So, in the meantime, God keeps His promise to us. He dwells in us through the Holy Spirit, waiting for us to be witnesses to all people so that He can return and judge the world for all the violent, evil things that have happened. The key is to know that there is not one thing that escapes the notice of God, He is storing up what the bible calls His wrath for all of this evil in the world – He will exact that wrath on people for all the things they’ve done that are evil and wicked and for those who have accepted Jesus as their savior and King – He will have taken the wrath upon Himself for all of that.)
- What do you need God to walk through with you that has been hard lately? Have you been facing any things that make you afraid, or hurt your feelings, or situations that have bee difficult?
- Pray over your children for God to walk with them and for them to turn to Him and learn to rely on Him in times of need and when times are good
Daniel 9:27; 11:31; 12:11
9:27 A covenant will be put into effect with many people for one ‘week.’ In the middle of the ‘week’ sacrifices and offerings will come to an end. And at the temple a hated thing that destroys will be set up. It will remain until that ruler who will come is destroyed. Then he will experience what the Lord has ordered.”
11:31 “His army will come and make the temple area ‘unclean.’ They will put a stop to the daily sacrifices. Then they will set up a hated thing that destroys.
12:11 “The daily sacrifices will be stopped. And the hated thing that destroys will be set up. After that, there will be 1,290 days.
Description of the aftermath of the Destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD:
Josephus (a personal witness to the events – a Jewish/Roman historian) claims that over 1,100,000 people were killed during the initial siege of Jerusalem by the Romans. 97,000 people were captured and enslaved – many forced to fight as gladiators and die in the arena. Many fled to areas around the Mediterranean. During the siege, there was mass starvation due to lack of food because so many people were in Jerusalem to celebrate passover when the siege began. The lack of food led people to cannibalism, there were even reports of mothers eating their own children. Later, the Romans held mass crucifixions, so much so that wood eventually became unavailable in the region.