Family Bible Study:
‘Jesus left the temple. He was walking away when his disciples came up to him. They wanted to call his attention to the temple buildings. “Do you see all these things?” Jesus asked. “What I’m about to tell you is true. Not one stone here will be left on top of another. Every stone will be thrown down.” Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives. There the disciples came to him in private. “Tell us,” they said. “When will this happen? And what will be the sign of your coming? What will be the sign of the end?” Jesus answered, “Keep watch! Be careful that no one fools you. Many will come in my name. They will claim, ‘I am the Messiah!’ They will fool many people. You will hear about wars. You will also hear people talking about future wars. Don’t be alarmed. Those things must happen. But the end still isn’t here. Nation will fight against nation. Kingdom will fight against kingdom. People will go hungry. There will be earthquakes in many places. All these are the beginning of birth pains. “Then people will hand you over to be treated badly and killed. All nations will hate you because of me. At that time, many will turn away from their faith. They will hate each other. They will hand each other over to their enemies. Many false prophets will appear. They will fool many people. Because evil will grow, most people’s love will grow cold. But the one who remains strong in the faith will be saved. This good news of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world. It will be a witness to all nations. Then the end will come. ‘ Matthew 24:1-14 https://my.bible.com/bible/110/MAT.24.1-14
- Have someone read the passage.
- Let’s get out google and see if we can find some images of what the temple might have looked like. Someone search for “Model of Herod’s Temple in Jerusalem”.
- If you had lived in Jesus’ day and been inside of such a big temple with such big stones, what would you have thought when Jesus said that “not one stone will be left on top of another”? (PARENTS NOTE: the stones used to construct the temple weighed between 4,000lbs-10,000lbs. This would have been a huge feat).
- Let’s google something else, someone look up the “70AD the fall of Jerusalem,” let’s see what kind of things you can find out about that event.
- Have your child write down some things they learn – be sure to have them learn about what happened to the temple walls.
- SAY: This prophecy that Jesus makes is super important because it would have seemed like a ridiculous idea before 70AD. No one would have thought that anyone could move every single stone. But that is exactly what the Romans did – and it was a terrible time. Over the next few days we are going to be studying what happened during that time and some of the other things Jesus predicted. But I want you to remember this – Jesus was God and He was constantly proving that. This prophecy is one of the things that points to just how amazing He is!
- Let’s pray and worship Jesus today to tell Him how thankful we are for Him being our savior, and that even in scary times, we can trust Him!