Family Bible Study:‘The Pharisees heard that the Sadducees weren’t able to answer Jesus. So the Pharisees got together. One of them was an authority on the law. So he tested Jesus with a question. “Teacher,” he asked, “which is the most important commandment in the Law?” Jesus replied, “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul. Love him with all your mind.’ (Deuteronomy 6:5) This is the first and most important commandment. And the second is like it. ‘Love your neighbor as you love yourself.’ (Leviticus 19:18) Everything that is written in the Law and the Prophets is based on these two commandments.” ‘ Matthew 22:34-40 https://my.bible.com/bible/110/MAT.22.34-40
- Let’s read the scripture for today, who wants to read?
- Why do you think all these religious leaders are trying to trick Jesus? (PARENTS NOTE: Jesus is getting more popular than they they are, the people are following Him and listening to everything He teaches – they are trying to show the people that He’s not that special)
- What would you say the most important rule in our house is? Why?
- Why do you think Jesus says the most important law is to Love God with all your heart, soul, and mind? How do you do that? (PARENTS NOTE: help your kids understand that God doesn’t just want us to talk about loving Him, He wants us to ACTUALLY love Him in everything we do. What’s on the inside (what we love and think about), what’s on the outside (what we say and do).
- What would be different in our family if we really loved each other like we would want to be loved? Why don’t we do that?
- Loving God and loving people is the basis for all of God’s commandments. Let’s see if we can figure out how a few different things that break God’s law break God’s love: (PARENTS NOTE: as you go through each of these questions, walk your kids down a logical path. Let’s take lying to your mom: you want your mom to love and trust you -> lying uses that trust to get what you want -> now your mom isn’t sure she can trust you anymore -> you didn’t show your mom love when you lied)
- How does lying to your mom about cleaning your room break God’s law of love?
- How does cheating on a homework assignment?
- How about getting in a fight?
- Can you think of any others situations?
- Today, let’s keep reminding each other, “we are supposed to love God and love people.” Sound like a deal?
- Have a child pray and thank God for loving us so much and caring for us even when we didn’t deserve it and to help us love others like that.