Family Bible Study:‘That same day the Sadducees came to Jesus with a question. They do not believe that people rise from the dead. “Teacher,” they said, “here is what Moses told us. If a man dies without having children, his brother must get married to the widow. He must provide children to carry on his brother’s name. There were seven brothers among us. The first one got married and died. Since he had no children, he left his wife to his brother. The same thing happened to the second and third brothers. It happened right on down to the seventh brother. Finally, the woman died. Now then, when the dead rise, whose wife will she be? All seven of them were married to her.” Jesus replied, “You are mistaken, because you do not know the Scriptures. And you do not know the power of God. When the dead rise, they won’t get married. And their parents won’t give them to be married. They will be like the angels in heaven. What about the dead rising? Haven’t you read what God said to you? He said, ‘I am the God of Abraham. I am the God of Isaac. And I am the God of Jacob.’ (Exodus 3:6) He is not the God of the dead. He is the God of the living.” When the crowds heard this, they were amazed by what he taught. ‘ Matthew 22:23-33 https://my.bible.com/bible/110/MAT.22.23-33
- Who wants to read today’s story?
- Can someone retell me the story?
- What’s the scariest thing in the world to you?
- SAY: These religious people were trying to trick Jesus again with another question. But Jesus turns it around on them again and shows them that they keep missing the point.
- What do you think the point is that Jesus is making? (PARENTS NOTE: What we are looking for is to get to the point where your child recognizes that the sadducees were worried about little unimportant things and missing the big things. The big thing is that friends of God get to live for ever. Because the Sadducees didn’t believe in resurrection, they were trying to create a logical fallacy to prove that it’s impossible for resurrection to happen. Jesus completely bypasses it and says, “you just don’t get it”)
- Does it make you excited to think that people who are friends of God get to live forever? What about that makes you excited?
- SAY: One of the most exciting parts about knowing Jesus is that He is not the God of the dead but the living.
- What could we do today to let God know that we love being friends with Him?
- Have a prayer time telling God how thankful you are to be friends with Him and that you are glad He is the God of the living and that means we get to live forever with Him!
PARENTS NOTE: This passage has the potential to bring up LOTS of questions about death. Don’t shy away from those, answer them, but keep focused on the hope in Jesus. Also, many people have an incorrect belief that we become angels after we die because of what Jesus says about us becoming like angels. This translation (NIRV) translates it in a way that makes it feel like that’s a correct interpretation. But what Jesus is actually saying is that in regards to marriage we will be like angels, not that we will BE angels.