Family Bible Study:PASSAGE: Matthew 21:23-27 ‘Jesus entered the temple courtyard. While he was teaching there, the chief priests and the elders of the people came to him. “By what authority are you doing these things?” they asked. “Who gave you this authority?” Jesus replied, “I will also ask you one question. If you answer me, I will tell you by what authority I am doing these things. Where did John’s baptism come from? Was it from heaven? Or did it come from human authority?” They talked to one another about it. They said, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ he will ask, ‘Then why didn’t you believe him?’ But what if we say, ‘From human authority’? We are afraid of the people. Everyone believes that John was a prophet.” So they answered Jesus, “We don’t know.” Jesus said, “Then I won’t tell you by what authority I am doing these things either. ‘ Matthew 21:23-27 https://my.bible.com/bible/110/MAT.21.23-27
- Who can tell me what happened in your own words without looking at the bible? (have them check each other to make sure they get it right)
- Why do you think they were asking Jesus this question? (PARENT NOTE: Jewish religious teachers rarely spoke on their own authority – they would always reference some other authority to give their teaching power – Jesus spoke as though He had His own authority, see Matthew 7:29)
- Why do you think they were afraid to answer Jesus’ question? (PARENT NOTE: If they answer Jesus’ question and say that John the Baptists authority was from heaven, then they also have to claim that Jesus’ authority is from heaven and they would have to admit they have been wrong – it all comes down to pride.)
- Do you ever know something is right and not want to do it? (try thinking of an instance from their life lately – but don’t make them feel guilty about it) Why do we do that?
- Pride is a fear of looking foolish. Do you think these religious leaders’ pride kept them from knowing Jesus?
- Does your pride ever keep you from doing the right thing?
- James 4:6 says that “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble”, what if today we all, me included, try and put our pride aside and do what’s right? Do you want to do that with me?
- Have one of your kids pray for God to help us to not be afraid to look foolish and to put our pride aside!