Family Bible Study:
“One of the 12 disciples went to the chief priests. His name was Judas Iscariot. He asked, “What will you give me if I hand Jesus over to you?” So they counted out 30 silver coins for him. From then on, Judas watched for the right time to hand Jesus over to them.”
Matthew 26:14-16 NIRV
- Have someone read the passage.
- Does anyone know how much 30 silver coins would have been worth? (PARENTS NOTE: if your kids are old enough, you can have them google this. The amount would have been a little under $200. In Exodus 21:32, Moses says that if an animal gores a slave to death that the penalty to pay the owner of the slave is 30 pieces of silver. Many scholars believe that the chief priests are saying that in their mind, Jesus isn’t worth any more than a slave.)
- Why do you think Judas would make a deal to hand Jesus over like that?
- SAY: We can’t really know exactly why Judas decided to turn Jesus over, but one of the ideas is that he was tired of waiting for Jesus to fight against the Romans. He may have thought he was forcing Jesus into a fight, to finally become the Messiah He was supposed to be. No matter why Judas did it, he still betrayed Jesus and missed what it was Jesus was really trying to do.
- Do you think people “miss” what Jesus is doing today? Explain?
- Do you think people still betray Jesus? How?
- How can we ensure that we remain faithful to Jesus?
- Thank God for His grace to forgive you and ask Him to help you remain true as you follow Him.