Thinking about starting Family Devotions for your family? We’re so proud of you for taking this first step towards disciplining your kids. Click below to expand some helpful topics or jump into the bible studies below. You can do this!
PS – all the devotions were written using the NirV – a version written specifically for kids.
How to do Family Devotions
Start by deciding on a time that will be most conducive to your family to hold daily bible studies.
- Before school each morning – a fantastic way to help your kids get their minds focused on the right things before starting the day
- Dinner time – sitting around a table (also encourages your family to eat dinner together)
- Before bedtime all gathered together – a great way to catch up on the day
Next prep your kids several days before officially launching the bible study:
Finally, read some of the Practical Tips in the net section before launching to become a pro at leading a Family Devotion time
Practical Tips for Success with Family Devotions
- Don’t go too long: We only try to get in about 5-10 min of time studying each day – it’s not long, but over time it makes a difference. Kids’ attention span isn’t that long when they are younger. A good rule of thumb is to keep it to one minute/their age. Average their age if you have old and younger kids.
- Get rid of distractions: In our family, the kids all know they need to get done whatever they were working on before the bible study so they can focus on what we are doing. Our study is in the morning before school, so, by 7:16 they need to be ready to focus. I give them several warnings in the morning as we get close to that time (10 min. till bible study time). This also means no devices or other distracting objects.
- Sit in circles or around a table: Have everyone sit down together in a circle so they can see each other. This helps them pay to who’s talking or reading.
- BE PATIENT: Most days it’s chaotic and crazy, but I’ve seen a big difference over the time we’ve been doing it for our kids. It takes time, and it NEVER looks perfect, but it’s about a long investment, not an instant change.
- Give yourself some grace: Be sure to give them and yourself grace, don’t force it to be ultra spiritual or super rigid because it’s new for you AND them.
- Laugh a lot and have fun: One of the ways we have fun is I let them act lots of bible stories out.I figure as they get older we’ll get better at it…
- Make them yours: Finally, the devotions I’m providing are just starting points – make them your own. You’ve got this, I’m praying for you!
|This is a fantastic bible for kids to begin their “Quest” of reading the scriptures. the NirV is an easy to read version of the bible translated with kids in mind. This is a great “first” bible.|
|Our family uses this for a “choose your own adventure” study on Fridays|
Swipe Left for Bible Studies you’ve already used and right for bible studies you want to save for later.
You've swiped through everything!
Check out your 'liked' list below, or start again.
See all the family bible studies below ordered from newest to oldest.
Family Bible Study:'Jesus told them, “This very night you will all turn away because of me. It is written that the Lord said, “ ‘I will strike the shepherd down. Then the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’ (Zechariah 13:7) But after I rise from the dead, I will go...
Family Bible Study:'It was the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread. The disciples came to Jesus. They asked, “Where do you want us to prepare for you to eat the Passover meal?” He replied, “Go into the city to a certain man. Tell him, ‘The Teacher says, “My...
Family Bible Study:“One of the 12 disciples went to the chief priests. His name was Judas Iscariot. He asked, “What will you give me if I hand Jesus over to you?” So they counted out 30 silver coins for him. From then on, Judas watched for the right time to hand Jesus...
Family Bible Study:'Jesus was in Bethany. He was in the home of Simon, who had a skin disease. A woman came to Jesus with a special sealed jar of very expensive perfume. She poured the perfume on his head while he was at the table. When the disciples saw this, they...
Family Bible Study:'Jesus finished saying all these things. Then he said to his disciples, “As you know, the Passover Feast is two days away. The Son of Man will be handed over to be nailed to a cross.” Then the chief priests met with the elders of the people. They...
Family Bible Study:'“The Son of Man will come in all his glory. All the angels will come with him. Then he will sit in glory on his throne. All the nations will be gathered in front of him. He will separate the people into two groups. He will be like a shepherd who...
Family Bible Study:““Again, here is what the kingdom of heaven will be like. A man was going on a journey. He sent for his slaves and put them in charge of his money. He gave five bags of gold to one. He gave two bags to another. And he gave one bag to the third. The...
Family Bible Study:'“Suppose a master puts one of his slaves in charge of the other slaves in his house. The slave’s job is to give them their food at the right time. The master wants a faithful and wise slave for this. It will be good for the slave if the master...
Family Bible Study:'“Here is what the kingdom of heaven will be like at that time. Ten bridesmaids took their lamps and went out to meet the groom. Five of them were foolish. Five were wise. The foolish ones took their lamps but didn’t take any olive oil with them....
Family Bible Study:'“But no one knows about that day or hour. Not even the angels in heaven know. The Son does not know. Only the Father knows. Remember how it was in the days of Noah. It will be the same when the Son of Man comes. In the days before the flood, people...